Saturday, January 19, 2008

Toast and Jam

Before I started lotions and soaps, I dabbled in fashion for a while. But admittedly, sewing was never really "my thing". I find fabric stores overwhelming and sewing machines unbearably tedious. Yes, despite my love for lotions, soaps and fragrances, I always wanted to be a "crafty girl"-one who can make all different things. I've always admired people who can do this because not only are they so obviously talented at what they do, but they have the option to be fickle. They can make dolls, bags, clothes, accessories...and trust me: the list goes on!
This brings me to a newly discovered etsian, whom I will be featuring today Toast and Jam. Let me first tell you, if you haven't seen her shop, take a visit, because this gal crafts like it's her job! Her hats are beyond adorable! Here are a few of my select favourites:

Domo-Kun Hat:


Winter Owl Hat:


MTO Animal Ear Hat:


She also makes lovely handbags and plushies!



1) What is your craft?
My craft is sewing and at the moment crocheting!

2) What is/are your favourite materials to use?
I love fleece! I would say by now I could even be considered an expert in fleece, hehe. I also really love furry fabrics, like the ones I use in my monster bags! They have so many fun colors.

3) How did you learn your craft and how long have you been practicing it?
I learned how to sew from my Grandma Sutter when I was a sophomore in high school (I'm graduating college at the moment). She was the driving force behind all my craftiness, and I think of her every time I work.

4) What are your favorite and least favorite parts about your craft?
I would say that my favorite parts about sewing are the fact that I have a short attention span, and when you sew you see your work immediately progressing. This definitely helps keep my interest. Plus, making my own clothing, and seeing my hats on other people is one of the best feelings in the world.
My least favorite part would be the upper back pain from constantly bending over my sewing machine!!


What is your favourite...
1) Dessert?
Tiramisu

2) Month?
November (my birth month)

3) Quote?
"There are some things you want to do, and there are some things you have to do, and thats life."

4) Book?
The outlander by Diana Gabaldon hands down.

Any words of advice to others out there trying to sell their own handmade items?
Go with your insticts, listen to your friends, and always put your all into your craft. That way when people get you down, you can stand behind your work proudly and tell them they are wrong!

Thanks Toast and Jam! Best wishes to you and your shop! xxx.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I wish I could crochet or knit too. These hats are really cute!

Michelle said...

Hi again! You've been tagged. You can see details on my blog :)

Amber Rose said...

Thanks Michelle! :)